Friday, February 8, 2008

Bloomin' Beautiful


As a StampinUp demonstrator we can preorder product from upcoming catalogs. Well I received my order from the Occasions mini catalog that starts on March 1 and just had to mount this one called 'Bloomin' Beautiful' (can we say 'DIE CUT') and get ink on it.

A couple months ago for my stamp club, I taught my clubbers how to dry emboss and how to reverse mask. Well this flower just screamed to me to be put on that kind of a card. So here is what I came up with.

I made a mask out of printer paper, layed it onto Very Vanilla, and used a sponge with Mellow Moss to make the background of the masked part. Leaving the mask on, I stamped the flowers and the sentiment in Basic Black classic ink. I then colored the flowers in using the Stampin' Pastels and a Q-tip.

I wanted to frame it with a dry embossed image, but didn't just want a single line. So using a piece of Basic Gray card stock cut to the same size as my card, I layed my mask (printer paper) on it and traced the inside line, so I knew where the image would be. Then using the Word Window punch, I punched out all along the bottom of my mask in a straight line to create an embossing template. I went up the sides halfway.

Holding the template and my card up onto a window (if you don't have a light table, this works great), I used my empressor stylus and dry embossed half of my 'frame'. I then flipped the template over to do the other side, matching up the sides to make a complete frame. I hope this makes sense.

I added the bow using Basic Black 1/4" grosgrain ribbon and a glue dot. I wasn't quite sure I liked that, but couldn't remove the ribbon, so I decided to try another one. So here it is:


This one I decided to use Bashful Blue for the masked background instead. I stamped everything in Black Stazon this time so I could use the Watercolor Wonder crayons and aquapainter to color. I used Always Artichoke on the leaves and stem, Rose Red on the flowers, Summer Sun on the center of the flower and Summer Sun and Basic Black on the bee. I changed the embossing template by squaring off the corners. Here is a closeup of the embossing:


I used Black 1/4" grosgrain ribbon again, but around the whole card this time. I really like how this one turned out.

Let me know what you think and thanks for stopping.

5 comments:

beate said...

Beautiful card!

Fairle Beaman Carroll said...

This is GORGEOUS!!!

vmaduzia said...

I am in love with your dry emboss frame idea. Will try that today! Brilliant way to dress up a simple white card, I love it. Your watercoloring is so beautiful too!! This is the card that finally pushed me over to preorder this stamp set.

Thanks for sharing!
Vickie

Sharon (notimetostamp) said...

These cards are over the top fabulous!!! I've saved so I can try this myself -- wonderfully done!!! Thanks!!!

newenglandstamper said...

Oh boy, I just love the embossing idea. I'll have to try that tomorrow. TFS.