Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Die cut birdhouse...

... well not actually the birdhouse, but the bird, roof and flowers are.

I saw one of these birdhouses on someone elses blog (sorry I can't remember) and thought this was the cutest thing ever. Well that person referred me to Nicole's blog where the pattern was. So I just had to try it! When I saw this, they had used a Nestibilities for the roof. Well I saw Top Note die possibilities right away!

When I printed out the pattern, but it was smaller than I had thought, so I decided to try and enlarge it as much as I could. I made it 125% larger so the Top Note die would fit for the roof. If I could have enlarged it further I would have, but parts of it kept getting cut off, so I had to settle for this size.

I'm still happy on how it turned out.

The birdhouse itself is made from Kraft card stock. The roof is cut out of Always Artichoke and the base is Chocolate Chip. The hole in the front is punched using the 1" circle punch.

I punched a small hole at the top of the roof using the crop-a-dile and tied a piece of Kraft Taffeta ribbon together and fed through the hole for a hanger.

I used the Birds & Blooms die for the bird and flowers. The bird is Ballet Blue and the flowers are Real Red and So Saffron. The leaves are Glorious Green. (I wanted the flowers to be a little christmasy so I could hang it on the Christmas tree). I used a gold brad in the middle of the flowers. The flowers are adhered on to the birdhouse with a dimensional.

I cut a very small slit in the birds belly and slid it over the opening of the hole to keep my bird in place, because there was no way to adhere the bird while it was sitting in the opening. Make sense?

It still needed a 'perch', so I used an 'I' from one of my chipboard letters and colored it using my Brown journaler. I then cut a small hole using an exacto knife to slide the perch into and it stays. Here's another couple of views of this very cute birdhouse:





I see myself making more of these. They would be cute to attached to the top of presents or to just give away.

Thanks for stopping today!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is too cute. Can you pass on where I can find the pattern. Thanks